Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Site Links
Click Here For Parts List


Book Store


Newest Topics
cox lawn boss 13.5hp mower
by johnmac
27/03/17 06:21 PM
What's your Mower Count?
by Mowerfreak
27/03/17 04:30 AM
VC300 keeps running
by tiger
26/03/17 09:30 PM
45 made up with leftover parts
by KenW
26/03/17 08:58 PM
B&S Magnetron coil
by waverider
26/03/17 06:43 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Ignition Module
by Mowerfreak
27/03/17 10:04 PM
What's your Mower Count?
by Kye Turnbull
27/03/17 08:23 PM
Diplomat 590 For Sale
by Bonnar_Bloke
27/03/17 07:39 PM
VC300 keeps running
by tiger
27/03/17 06:21 PM
cox lawn boss 13.5hp mower
by johnmac
27/03/17 06:21 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#79311 - 15/11/16 08:53 AM Whipper snippers
NormK Offline
Junior Technician
Registered: 04/01/16
Posts: 1562
Loc: Melbourne
Interesting couple of hours yesterday with a couple of whipper snippers a friend of my wife brought over. First one he said needed a new primer bulb. Can't get one screw out to remove the carby so i could get to the primer bulb screws. Finally removed the screws but they had been Loctited in so one thread was stripped out. Then I noticed the fuel lines had pretty much disappeared and the strainer was in the bottom of the tank. Ok shake it out and half a tank of water poured out. The usual story "it was running" My standard reply to this is "I know it was running, they always ran when they left the shop" Anyway I got it up and running but the shaft wasn't turning, pulled the clutch housing and it was all rusted solid, makes you get very annoyed when people won't tell you the truth.The impression he had given me was that the primer bulb had only recently failed.The second one "just needs the pull start fixed because you can't pull it, it is stuck". My reply "Easy to see why it doesn't work,somebody put straight fuel in this 2 stroke, motor is siezed, nothing wrong with the pull start" " Can it be fixed" "Yes it can, take a grinder, cut the shaft in half and drop it in the rubbish bin". Thought I would give you a bit of a laugh for the morning
Top
#79315 - 15/11/16 02:00 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
AVB Offline
Apprentice level 4
Registered: 14/01/15
Posts: 393
Loc: Tennessee, USA
That sounds typical...They think we are miracle repair shops. The customers want it fixed for nothing too because they didn't pay much it in the first place. Certain brands and models I don't even take in anymore.

Sounds about like my day yesterday when I tried out a 3/8 lp carbide chain for stump cutting. It supposedly one that the fire and rescue departments use. What a disappointment and I couldn't sell it for this purpose with any integrity.

I knew was to be a little slow but when comparing to a regular chain it like putting the chain on backwards. No way I can cut the 30 stumps I got with it. I just use the regular even if I need to put several chains.
Top
#79317 - 15/11/16 03:28 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
aussietrev Offline
Qualified Senior
Registered: 29/11/13
Posts: 621
Loc: Queensland
The thing with the carbide chains is they can never be as sharp as the standard ones, that is why they are so much slower. Carbide while tough as far as wear goes is also brittle hence you can't put as fine an edge on them.
Top
#83926 - 20/03/17 07:04 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
NormK Offline
Junior Technician
Registered: 04/01/16
Posts: 1562
Loc: Melbourne
Not sure why people insist on wanting me to look at their whipper snippers, I tell them I hate them and I'm not interested in wasting time on them , but I get this typical reply "well would you just have a look at it anyway?" to which I usually reply "I'm looking at it now and I'm still not interested". Problem is I usually give in and now I'm ending up with a growing pile of whipper snippers and I'm beginning to forget who belongs to what. Carbies seem to be the greatest issue with all there small 2 strokes
Top
#83929 - 20/03/17 08:14 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
Mowerfreak Online   content
Apprentice level 4
Registered: 07/02/06
Posts: 334
Loc: Woy Woy
Lack of use kills Zamas. Walbro fair better in my experience. Not sure about Tillotsons.
I think it's just general lack of care. I am guilty myself. I never changed the foam air filter element in my Mitsubishi TU26 engine on my weed whacker for it's first seven or so years (albeit used infrequently) and when I finally decided it was time to check how dirty it was, it fell apart in my fingers. Lucky a piece wasn't sucked in during use.
Top
#83945 - 21/03/17 08:24 AM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
NormK Offline
Junior Technician
Registered: 04/01/16
Posts: 1562
Loc: Melbourne
Mowerfreak, I would think that lack of use and leaving them with fuel in them is probably the cause of failure of 98% of them. The other 2% is from people not using 2 stroke fuel in them
Top
#83993 - 22/03/17 04:46 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
Mowerfreak Online   content
Apprentice level 4
Registered: 07/02/06
Posts: 334
Loc: Woy Woy
Most times, not always, I empty the fuel into another machine that takes 25:1 fuel (all my machines!), use it and what remains, I empty into a bottle to use in another next time. This system of mine minimises stale fuel and stops fuel evaporating in the tanks while in storage, and leaving too much 2 stroke oil in the remaining fuel.
Top
#83996 - 22/03/17 06:43 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
Gadge Offline

Moderator
Registered: 27/01/12
Posts: 1112
Loc: Gippsland, Vic
Originally Posted By: NormK
Mowerfreak, I would think that lack of use and leaving them with fuel in them is probably the cause of failure of 98% of them. The other 2% is from people not using 2 stroke fuel in them

Add to that, owners using 91 octane number fuel, or even worse, the E10 version, for their 2-stroke mix; then leaving them in the trimmer's tank!

These petrols have the shortest shelf life, at least of those on the Oz market. And then of course, there are the side issues with E10...

ATM my only operational two-stroke is a 1970s Echo CS601VL chain saw - and I commenced emptying it of fuel after every use, after leaded Standard petrol went off the market. Still runs just fine, on fresh 20:1 BP 95 Premium petrol/Castrol TT oil mix.
_________________________
Cheers,
Gadge
Top
#83997 - 22/03/17 06:45 PM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
AVB Offline
Apprentice level 4
Registered: 14/01/15
Posts: 393
Loc: Tennessee, USA
I don't complain as it is repair work.

Users usually are too be of a hurry when putting away their equipment. On top it the equipment might for a year or more between uses. As the fuel mix nearly everything here now uses 50:1 mix. I still use a multi-mix synthetic oil with stabilizer as I do still get in antiques that need as much as 16:1 mixes. Usually go through about 5 gallons a year in the shop.

Just got in a pole saw yesterday. Customer said just needed fuel lines. Funny it needed those plus a metering diaphragm with gasket and internal fuel strainer. Good thing I keep these in stock.

Kinda nice to have though as I had a storm just pass through and blown a tree down on my fence for the chickens and emus. Luckily I had the 2 emus in a second pen at the time. That pole saw got a good test run. laugh Oh, how convenient to just get one in the shop. One draw back now I got to sharpen the chain. wink That something I got find in bulk chain which is a chain with the bumper links. Probably will need an Oregon or Stihl chain.

Plenty chainsaws so I it wasn't that I struck without a way to clean up the tree but I do think that 88cc with the 36" bar would have been a little over kill.
Top
#84007 - 23/03/17 06:50 AM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: aussietrev]
Gadge Offline

Moderator
Registered: 27/01/12
Posts: 1112
Loc: Gippsland, Vic
Originally Posted By: aussietrev
The thing with the carbide chains is they can never be as sharp as the standard ones, that is why they are so much slower. Carbide while tough as far as wear goes is also brittle hence you can't put as fine an edge on them.

Spot on.
Where they really shine is in cutting very old, very hard timber. Like the teak pilings and timbers under many of Melbourne's older wharves - Melbourne Ports were an early user of carbide saw chains.
_________________________
Cheers,
Gadge
Top
#84009 - 23/03/17 08:15 AM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
NormK Offline
Junior Technician
Registered: 04/01/16
Posts: 1562
Loc: Melbourne
What did surprise me is how well an old carbide tipped masonry drill went through hardened steel even though compared to a normal HSS drill bit I couldn't get a really sharp cutting edge on it.
Top
#84011 - 23/03/17 10:11 AM Re: Whipper snippers [Re: NormK]
AVB Offline
Apprentice level 4
Registered: 14/01/15
Posts: 393
Loc: Tennessee, USA
I found out what my problem was. I had brought a flat grind carbide when it should been hooked like regular chains so it would self feed. They just don't make one in 3/8 lp but my bigger saw uses a .325 so I will order one a little later after I get over the Spring start costs of the business.

I over the years chip a few teeth on circular and table saws but most times the carbide tipped blade just goes right the nails without problems.
Top

Moderator:  Bruce, Gadge 
Forum Donation
These Outdoorking Forums have helped Thousands of people in finding answers to their equipment questions.

If you have received help, please consider making a donation to support the on-going running cost of these forums.

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
Black Lotus, Parklea, Rangers95, Fossil Light, IanG
10153 Registered Users
Forum Stats
10154 Members
142 Forums
9767 Topics
71093 Posts

Max Online: 1013 @ 13/01/14 05:14 AM
Latest Photos
Another Model 45 rebuild
Scott bonnar Supercut 18"
More of the SB's
Scott Bonnar 17"
Rover 45058

HOME |CONTACT US