Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 7 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Site Links
Click Here For Parts List

Book Store

Newest Topics
Parts List for Ryobi Pole Saws
by Bruce. 23/08/17 02:27 PM
SB45 Clutch Advise
by Qualcast. 21/08/17 08:33 PM
Hi there
by Qualcast. 21/08/17 08:17 PM
***HEADS-UP*** 21082017
by CyberJack. 21/08/17 04:21 PM
ID Mower ... [Greens Flyweight]
by KenW. 21/08/17 01:38 PM
Topic Replies
Parts List for Ryobi Pole Saws
by Bruce. 23/08/17 02:27 PM
Scott Bonnar 45's For sale
by Bonnar_Bloke. 23/08/17 11:27 AM
Identifying Model Number
by maxwestern. 22/08/17 08:07 PM
Introducing..... Me!
by prd. 22/08/17 07:52 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#81202 - 13/01/17 03:04 AM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: Bonnar_Bloke]  
emk3  Offline
Novice
Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Hello again BB,

I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year break.

I got the 20 inch machine out today as it look like we may be able to move into our new house in late Feb, so I had better get a mower sorted! We're thinking of putting Aussie Blue Couch down because it stripes nicely.

Anyways, I had a look at the motor and I'm thinking that I'm best to just replace it. I like the look of the Honda motors that you can just 'swap' straight in. I have also seen that there are some 'Chonda' motors on eBay that you have recommended.

Here is what I found with the original B&S motor: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The shaft is pretty badly damaged along with the inside clutch half. One of the head bolts is also snapped off inside the machine. Controversial.

I have 2 spare 17 inch machines here with decent clutch halves, so I'm thinking I will just be able to use one of those machines for parts? Do you have any advice for a suitable replacement motor for the 20 inch?

Here are some photos of the sprockets, reel and bed knife:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll be putting in the chain case for colour matching and then I'll be getting started with he paint stripping/sanding/paint prep. I think this one will be on the back burner for the next few weeks as I go back to work and we move in. I am hoping that it will be a much quicker/smoother process though now that I know the most effective and efficient ways to do things.

How are you going with your 20 inch? Did you find the bearing carriers?

Em smile

Membership information

#83947 - 21/03/17 07:10 PM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: Bonnar_Bloke]  
emk3  Offline
Novice
Hi Team,

It's been a while! We've just moved into our new house and the landscaping is about to start, which means I need to get a move on with the restoration of the 20 inch.

I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can source a stainless steel front roller with bearings? I have seen a few used in restorations, but have had absolutely no luck in getting one for myself

2. Has anyone ever had their rear rollers rubberised? Was this expensive and more importantly, was it worth it?

I'm going to organise for colour matching of the chain case and also take a few items in to be re-chromed in the next fortnight or so. It won't quite be a faithful restoration as I'm putting a new Chonda motor on it and may get some extra bits and pieces chromed. It'll be close though!

Last edited by emk3; 21/03/17 07:12 PM.

#83949 - 21/03/17 08:51 PM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: emk3]  
Bonnar_Bloke  Offline
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Em,

Well it seems that I missed the original post in this thread, thus why I haven't answered it.

As far as paint is concerned could you please get whoever is doing the paint mixing for you to write down exactly what the tinters are and exact amounts used down on paper so that we can put it on the record as we asked these questions all the time.

A Chonda will be a good power plant for it and much cheaper than a Honda. If you do the routine maintenance on it it will last ages as they are pretty good now a days.

I had the bearing carrier tig welded as it's ally and not die cast as first suspected. It's stronger now than it was originally and also it was much cheaper ($30)It also required a slight process on the chaps mill as it had a slight twist in it from the breakage, thus now it has the bearing sitting totally square in the carrier.

I know a chap that does the rubberising of rear rollers but unless you are doing heaps of miles on concrete surfaces it's really not worth it as it aint cheap.

Your bottom blade is a beauty and will just need a light machining at the same time as the reel gets it's spin grind.

Your sprockets are all fine.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what the wife tells me.

#83951 - 21/03/17 10:07 PM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: Bonnar_Bloke]  
emk3  Offline
Novice
Hello again BB!

I'll ask the paint place to note everything down. This green is a lot lighter as compared with the last restoration. I'll also ask if they wrote that mix down at all as well. I think you were pretty impressed with that colour, even though it was quite glossy and lacked the desired hammertoe effect.

You've done well to come up with a solution for your bearing carrier!

If you don't mind me asking, how pricy would it be for the rubber rollers? I've got exposed aggregate driveway and steppers to deal with as well as a concrete pad immediately outside the garage, so it does have to go over concrete a fair bit, which is not ideal...

I'm up for a replacement front roller regardless as the last one has holes in it. I think I might have to get some stainless steel cut to the original size and use the plastic end caps. I really loved the look of the stainless steel rollers with bearings that were going around the ODK forum a few years back, but the trail seems to have gone cold.

I'm extremely happy with my local reel sharpening company. I put in the other two 17 inch reels to be done a few weeks ago. One of them has a broken blade that must have snapped off during use with a previous owner. Anyways, he's just offered to swap it out for another second hand reel at no extra cost. Got to be happy with that! I haven't restored these machines, I've just serviced the motor, replaced some bearings and sharpened the reel/bedknife so that I can get them both up and running in the next week or two.

I plan to use one on my yard for the next few months until my new 20 inch is complete and I've got a friend who is interested in the other. If he doesn't go for it, then I might have to put it on Gumtree. I had originally planned to use them for parts, but I couldn't bring myself to break them down when everything went as planned and I found replacement parts anyways. No point retiring a machine that seems to be a bit of a phoenix....

#83953 - 21/03/17 10:47 PM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: emk3]  
Bonnar_Bloke  Offline
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Em,

Absolutely not, you won't find any dealers cannibalising a goer to parts as there's no money in that.

The front roller situation is that they are all custom self made units and not commercially made ones. Yes get a new piece of correctly sized pipe and use the original type plastic end caps and you'll be fine. The custom made units are merely a bit of overkill because they can.

I'm sure the paint people won't have the old paint formula on hand any more as they would've just matched it by eye and kept adding tinters to get it right, but if you give them a heads up before they start then we'll be in front.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what the wife tells me.

#87578 - 20/08/17 11:48 AM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: Bonnar_Bloke]  
emk3  Offline
Novice
Hi BB,

Long time no chat. Came across this article in the paper today. Wasn't sure where to post it. Been a bit busy so far this year so not much progress on the 20 inch but hoping to get to it shortly.

Attached Files
IMG_5188.JPG (13 downloads)

#87579 - 20/08/17 04:54 PM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: emk3]  
Bonnar_Bloke  Offline
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Em,

Firstly good to see you are a financial member of the forum and enjoying all the benefits it brings. It's fantastic to have good people here.

Nice to see a shot like that in a major Newspaper.

For those unaware the machine pictured is a Series 2, 17 inch Scotty with a replacement Briggs & Stratton engine fitted. The machine was produced around 1978 and still going strong in a commercial environment, now that's saying something isn't it ?

Cheers,
BB.

#87618 - 22/08/17 06:29 AM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: Bonnar_Bloke]  
emk3  Offline
Novice
Yes, I was pretty impressed to see it feature in the paper. Looks like it's missing a few parts though...

Happy to pay the $5 to be a member considering how much information and assistance I've received from ODK.

#87632 - 22/08/17 07:26 PM Re: SB 45 - dual project (newbie) [Re: emk3]  
Bonnar_Bloke  Offline
Adelaide, Australia
That's the spirit !

Cheers,
BB.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bonnar_Bloke, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members